Preparations are underway for the measles-rubella supplemental immunization activity scheduled from October 26 to November 25 in this southern port city.
Dr. Fatima Virginia Alamia, national immunization program medical coordinator of the City Health Office, said Wednesday they are targeting to vaccinate 81,290 children nine months to below five years old regardless of the immunization status.
The supplemental immunization activity aims to protect the target beneficiary-children from measles-rubella and its complications, Alamia said.
She said the orientation of barangay health workers is ongoing while the vaccines are already prepared, adding the vaccination will be conducted in accordance with the health protocols of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic.
Meanwhile, she said the local declaration of the measles outbreak has remained in effect since it was announced on Feb. 9, 2018.
The measles outbreak declaration can only be lifted if there is no recorded case within 60 days, Alamia said.
Corazon Pagotaisidro, national immunization program nurse coordinator of the city health office, said they have recorded 24 measles cases since January this year.
However, Pagotaisidro said this year’s cases are lower than that of last year’s 100 cases covering the same period. (PNA)