The city government of Valenzuela donated some PHP6 million worth of financial assistance to some cities and municipalities in the Bicol Region hard-hit by the recent typhoons.
Mayor Rex Gatchalian said the city government and its social welfare team started visiting typhoon-hit communities in the provinces of Albay, Camarines Sur, and Catanduanes to hand over the cash donations for rehabilitation and recovery efforts of families.
“Although we have spent so much fund in the response to Covid-19 that almost depleted our resources, we are still fortunate enough to have some amounts to spare to assist our brothers and sisters who suffered ill luck from the recent super typhoon while the battle against this pandemic is still ongoing,” Gatchalian said.
The city council resolution No. 1871 authorized the grant of PHP2.5 million to the provincial government of Camarines Sur, PHP2.2 million to Albay, and PHP1.3 million to Catanduanes.
Below is the breakdown of Valenzuela’s cash assistance:
Province of Albay
• Provincial Government of Albay — PHP1 million
• City Government of Tabaco — PHP300,000
• Municipal Government of Camalig — PHP200,000
• Municipal Government of Malinao — PHP200,000
• Municipal Government of Daraga — PHP250,000
• Municipal Government of Guinobatan — PHP250,000
Province of Camarines Sur
• Provincial Government of Camarines Sur — PHP1 million
• Municipal Government of Bato — PHP200,000
• Municipal Government of Buhi — PHP250,000
• Municipal Government of Bula — PHP200,000
• Municipal Government of Calabanga — PHP200,000
• Municipal Government of Libmanan — PHP250,000
• Municipal Government of Nabua — PHP200,000
• Municipal Government of Pili — PHP200,000
Province of Catanduanes
• Provincial Government of Catanduanes — PHP1 million
• Municipal Government of Virac — PHP300,000
According to the city government, Valenzuela has been extending assistance to victims in areas hit by calamities through its “VC Cares Plus Program.”
“Anchored on the city government of Valenzuela’s compassionate program—the VC (Valenzuela City) Cares Plus, which does not only aim to look after the welfare of its constituents but also of its brothers and sisters in other municipalities and cities who are in need,” it said.
Valenzuela aids Marikina
Meanwhile, the city government is on its third day of helping Marikina City with its disaster response operations and other restoration efforts.
Valenzuela has deployed rescue teams and lent its spare equipment to augment the clearing and cleaning operations in Marikina.
The city government has earlier offered to provide humanitarian assistance to Marikina residents after the onslaught of Typhoon Ulysses.
Apart from augmenting in rescue and clearing operations, Valenzuela extended its “mobile kitchen” to help feed families hit hard by “Ulysses” in Malanday, Marikina City. (PNA)