As we navigate ourselves to keep the COVID-19 at bay, one cannot deny how a little bit of sweetness can bring an immense sense of comfort. For any chocolate lover out there, this dangerously delicious treat might be all you need – a single serving of a brownie in a mug! The fact that you can make this in a matter of minutes, sounds too good to be true, but it’s not! With the lockdown at hand, indulge on this unbelievably easy-to-prepare mug brownie using only a few essentials in your pantry.
· 1/4 cup flour (30 g)
· 1/4 cup sugar (50 g)
· 2 tablespoons (13 g) cocoa (natural, unsweetened)
· Pinch of salt
· Tiny pinch of cinnamon
· 1/4 cup water (60 ml)
· 2 tablespoons (30 ml) melted butter, or neutral oil
· 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 small scoop of ice cream or 1 or 2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream to serve
1. Start by mixing the dry ingredients in a microwave safe ceramic mug – flour, sugar, cocoa, salt and cinnamon. Using a small whisk, fork or spoon, mix it well until it is free of lumps.
2. Stir in the wet ingredients – butter or oil, water and vanilla until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps.
3. Cook it in a microwave for about 1 minute and 40 seconds for a 1000 watt microwave, or 1 minute and 10 seconds on a 1650 watt microwave. Start with 60 seconds if you have no idea on your microwave’s power wattage and increase until the brownie is moist, not dry. Cooking time will vary greatly depending on your microwave. Keep a close eye so it doesn’t overflow or overcook.
4. Allow it to cool for a minute and top it with your favorite toppings – ice cream, whipped cream or sprinkles.
5. Grab a spoon and dig in!