Newly-appointed Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Debold Sinas on Monday thanked President Rodrigo Duterte’s trust and confidence at the same time happy and embarrassed after defending him anew over the mañanita celebration.
“Ako po ay parang nahihiya na ako kay President lalong depensahan niya po ulit ako tungkol po doon sa mañanita. So I have mixed feelings. Natuwa ako pero at the same time nahihiya (I am also somewhat embarrassed that President defended me again on the mañanita [issue]. So I have mixed feelings. I’m happy but at the same time embarrassed),” Sinas said during his first Monday’s flag ceremony as PNP chief at Camp Crame.
On Saturday, Duterte cleared Sinas of violation of rules months after his highly-criticized mañanita celebration where more than a dozen visitors attended despite the lockdown restrictions at that time.
“This is my call. I take full responsibility, but I also guarantee his (Sinas’) competence and expertise in police work,” Duterte said in his recorded message, defending the police chief’s appointment.
Duterte said it was not Sinas’ fault that his colleagues decided to surprise him. For him, Sinas is as good as pardoned.
“Pumunta lang ‘yong ibang sundalo kasi mañanita nga, hindi naman alam ng pobre, alangan namang sigawan niya na umuwi, eh di harapin niya (His colleagues went because it is a mañanita, the man did not know, it’s not as if he can turn them away)” he said.
The President added that the criticisms hurled against Sinas are nothing compared to corruption.
“Kung may kasalanan siya doon, pardon na siya. Wala along nakitang kasalanan na masama, na may moral implication, na may malisya (If he is indeed at fault, then he’s pardoned. I don’t see anything wrong, any moral implication, any malice),” he said.
Sinas thanked Duterte for defending him over mañanita issue.
“I would like to thank the President for the trust and confidence,” Sinas said. “I am very happy for the support of the President for me as his Chief PNP. Thank you very much Mr. President.”
He assured the public that the police service will be more visible down to the police-community precinct level.
“Rest assured of our best in police service. Sa lahat ng kapulisan dito sa Crame hanggang sa pinakamababa na substations at PCP, gawin po natin ang katungkulan natin para sa bayan (All the cops from here at Camp Crame down to the substations and police community precinct, let’s do our duty for the nation),” he said.
Duterte’s marching order to Sinas is to continue the government’s campaign against illegal drugs and ensure that the country is a safe place to live in.
Last week, Sinas urged the public to move on from the mañanita controversy.
Sinas said there are a lot of things for him to do as the new head of the country’s police force for the next six months.
The mañanita was held for him inside Camp Bagong Diwa in May, when Metro Manila was still under an enhanced community quarantine where mass gatherings are prohibited.
Consequently, the PNP-Internal Affairs Service (IAS) filed criminal charges against then National Capital Region Police Office chief Sinas and 18 other police officers for violating ordinance of Taguig City and Republic Act 11332 regarding the mañanita incident.
Sinas said he does not have the time to answer all criticisms against him.
“Sinabi ko yan (I have said) that’s part of the job, hindi po natin maiwasan ‘yun. Sinusundan niyo naman ako since nag-Region 7 ako hanggang ngayon, part na po ‘yan. Ako lang, pinapakita ko lang ‘yung mga gawaing tama at accomplishment namin (that cannot be avoided. You’ve been following me since my stint in Region 7 until now. I’m just showing what we are doing right and our accomplishments),” he said. (PNA)