Pres. Duterte Set To Issue New EO On Covid-19

Pres. Duterte Set To Issue New EO On Covid-19

Spotlight

Globe Introduces Mobile Health Solution With GoHealth

For just P20, you can now enjoy up to P,1000 health insurance from Pacific Cross!

GSIS Offers Computer Loan For Members

GSIS, ilulunsad ang Computer Loan Program upang matulungan ang mga miyembro nito at kanilang pamilya sa pagbili ng computer o laptop na gagamitin para sa kanilang mga trabaho o virtual classes ng kanilang mga anak.

Celebrate The Holidays With MMFF 2020, Globe, And Upstream

Globe and its partners also encourages moviegoers to fight online privacy.

Globe Recreates The Way You Learn With Special Promos

Globe introduces special Go promos for students and the GoTOK series to make quality learning and self-improvement accessible for everyone online and in real life!

Malacañang said President Rodrigo Duterte will be releasing an executive order to strengthen public health response after the Department of Health (DOH) confirmed the first case of local transmission of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) in the country.

“I will release the executive order tomorrow [on Monday] at the press briefing,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in an interview over DZIQ after Duterte approved the DOH recommendation to declare a state of public health emergency amid the surge in Covid-19 cases in the country.

He assured that government is ready to respond to any eventuality, stressing that the DOH has already called on Congress to approve the over PHP2-billion proposed supplemental budget to prevent the spread of the deadly disease.

“Nire-ready na ‘yun (It is being readied),” he said.

In a separate statement, Senator Sonny Angara, chair of the Senate finance committee, assured that Congress is ready to augment funds in the government’s response to contain the spread of Covid-19.

“There are funds contained in the 2020 General Appropriations Act that can be tapped for this purpose and if these are not enough then the DOH should say so,” he said.

Panelo said the government could also tap tax collections from Philippine offshore gaming operations (POGOs) to fund response efforts versus Covid-19.

“Lahat ‘yun puwede kasi (All of this is possible) supposed to be ang pera na nakukuha natin (the money we get), the government can use that in any undertaking,” he said.

To date, the Philippines has six confirmed cases of Covid-19.

The three new Covid-19 patients in the country include the 48-year-old man who previously visited Japan, and a couple — a 62-year-old man and a 59-year-old woman — who both had no travel history abroad.

Won’t limit engagements

Despite the Covid-19 threat, Panelo said Duterte would not limit his public engagements.

“I don’t think so dahil marami pa siyang naka-schedule (because he a lot of engagements scheduled),” he said.

He said Duterte will also observe safety precautions such frequent handwashing and avoid crowded areas to ensure his good health.

There was no need to consider a lockdown of Malacañang Complex to undergo disinfection protocols, he said.

Earlier, the Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said Duterte will be visiting Boracay on March 12 to join efforts in lifting the public’s mood to travel around the Philippines.

Aside from promotions, the Chief Executive will also inspect what has been done on the island since it was rehabilitated.

School’s discretion

Panelo said the Palace is leaving it to the discretion of private schools to suspend classes as part of efforts to contain the disease.

He said private schools have the authority to suspend classes and eventually reschedule makeup classes.

“Discretion sa kanila ‘yan (That’s their discretion). If they feel their schoolchildren are safe [that way], they can do that,” he said.

However, he said he does not see a need for the national government to call off work anytime soon.

“I don’t think we have reached that level. We should not panic,” he said.

Some cities have suspended classes this week including Navotas City (no classes on Monday); Cainta, Rizal (no classes until Tuesday); and Taytay, Rizal (no classes on Monday).

Authorities confirmed the first local case was a resident of Cainta.

Face the problem

He also assured that the country’s economic managers are ready to respond to the possible economic impact of Covid-19 to the country.

“That problem is not local, international ‘yan, global ‘yan (it’s international, global) so we have to face it,” he said.

Losses were expected but he said Duterte’s economic team is “trying to do something about it.”

“Saying we can stop the losses, I don’t think we can,” he said.

On Friday, the Asian Development Bank (ADB) said the Philippine economy could lose between USD669 million and USD1.94 billion and lose 87,000 to 252,000 jobs due to the Covid-19 outbreak.

In a report titled “The Economic Impact of the COVID-19 Outbreak on Developing Asia,” the ADB said that among its member-countries, expected to be “significantly affected” by the disease’s economic impact are those “with strong trade and production linkages with China.”

China was the Philippines’ top trade partner last year. (PNA)

Photo Credit: facebook.com/pcoogov

106-Year-Old Baguio Resident Recovers From COVID-19

Good news! One of the oldest persons in the country, who was diagnosed with COVID-19, was discharged on Tuesday!

PCG: 577 Passengers Stranded In Ports Due To ‘Quinta’

At least 577 passengers were stranded in several ports in Southern Tagalog, Bicol, and Western Visayas due to Typhoon “Quinta,” according to the Philippine Coast Guard.

New P170-M US Aid To Protect High-Risk Communities Vs. Disasters

This assistance would focus on communities in Metro Manila and the provinces of Northern Samar and Maguindanao that are highly prone to frequent earthquakes, typhoons, and floods.

50 ‘COVID-Busters’ Deployed In Catanduanes Town

A total of 50 newly hired contact tracers of the Department of the Interior and Local Government in Bicol have been deployed to Virac town in Catanduanes province to help in the continuous fight against the COVID-19.

Galvez Cites LGUs’ Efforts In Managing Pandemic

"Ang maganda po sa ating mga LGUs po ngayon ay talagang 'pagka kailangan nila ng tulong ay talaga pong tumatawag po sila... They are working hard para at least ma-manage po ang ating — ang ating ano po ang ating tinatawag nating ‘yung mga kaso."

House Blessings On The Rise: Former Taliptip Settlers Relocate To New And Safer Houses

San Miguel Corporation's early completion of new house-and-lots for former settlers in Taliptip has caused spike in the request of house blessings.

San Juan To Build Solar-Powered Bike Pit Stop, Repair Station

Here's what the the country's first solar-powered bike pit stop and repair station would look like:

NFA-8 Readies Rice Stocks For Calamities

NFA Eastern Visayas regional manager Arlene Tanseco said current stocks in NFA warehouses will last until early 2021 based on current demand for government rice in the region.

VP Leni Visits the OVP Community Learning Hub in Barangay Pinagbuhatan, Pasig City

Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto accompanies Vice President Leni Robredo as they meet the volunteer tutors for the hub, as well as one of the parents and her children who have signed up for this assistance.