Pres. Duterte ‘Outraged’ By OFW’s Death In Kuwait

Pres. Duterte ‘Outraged’ By OFW’s Death In Kuwait

Spotlight

GSIS To Launch Two Mobile Apps This October

Mas madali mo nang ma-access ang iyong GSIS account gamit ang bagong mobile application nito!

Halloween @ Home: Recreate The Chills And Thrills With Globe At Home

End the Spooktober in a spooktacular way with Globe At Home!

Phoenix Introduces New FamilyMart Retail Format Through Cebu Stores

FamilyMart opens three new compact stores in Cebu, offering a unique customer experience in response to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Globe Introduces Mobile Health Solution With GoHealth

For just P20, you can now enjoy up to P,1000 health insurance from Pacific Cross!

President Rodrigo Duterte is “outraged” by the death of Jeanelyn Padernal Villavende, an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) in Kuwait, Malacañang said.

But while the President expressed anger over the latest incident, the possible imposition of total ban on the deployment of Filipino workers to the Arab nation would still depend on the recommendation of Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.

“The President is outraged by that violation of the agreement between these two countries. And the incident is under investigation. The Secretary of Labor has already executed a partial deployment (ban). Let’s see if it becomes full deployment ban,” Panelo said in a Palace press briefing.

“That will depend on the endorsement or the recommendation of Secretary Bello,” he added, when asked if the Philippine government would again enforce a total deployment ban to the Gulf state in the future.

In an interview with CNN Philippines on Thursday, Bello said he will issue an order anytime soon for a partial deployment ban to Kuwait, following the death of Villavende, a Filipino household worker killed by her Kuwaiti employer’s wife.

Villavende’s death came even after the Philippines and Kuwait signed on May 11, 2018 a memorandum of agreement (MOA) that aims to put an end to inhumane treatment committed against OFWs by their Kuwaiti employers.

The killing of Villavende has renewed calls for the Duterte government to bar Filipinos from seeking jobs in Kuwait.

Bello floated the possibility of completely stopping the deployment of Filipino workers to the Arab country, in case justice is not served for Villavende.

“Hindi na muna kami magde-deploy ng bago (We will not deploy new workers in the meantime). We will only allow the deployment of ‘yung mga balik mangagawa, ‘yung returning, at saka ‘yung skilled workers (those returning workers and skilled workers),” the Labor chief said.

In February 2018, the Philippines implemented a total deployment ban of Filipino workers to Kuwait, in the wake of reports that OFWs in the Gulf nation have suffered abuses and even died at the hands of their employers.

The ban was lifted in May last year, following the signing of the MOA for the protection of OFWs in Kuwait.

Panelo admitted that the recent incident affected Manila’s ties with Kuwait City.

But despite the killing of another Filipino worker in Kuwait, the Philippines is not considering the possible cutting of ties with Kuwait, the Palace official said.

“Baka naman masyado ng seryoso yun. Tignan natin how it develops (Perhaps, cutting ties with Kuwait is a serious matter. Let’s see how it develops),” Panelo said, when quizzed about the possibility of the Philippines ending its diplomatic relations with Kuwait which began in 1979. (PNA)
Photo Credit: facebook.com/pcoogov

Manila North Cemetery Now Padlocked For ‘Undas’

The Manila Police District and the management of the Manila North Cemetery have padlocked the cemetery starting 5 p.m. Wednesday, in compliance with government order on the closure of cemeteries, columbariums and memorial parks during "Undas."

Spring Valley And Globe: How These Visionaries Are Pinning Technology In PH Map

Calling modern technopreneurs! Now is your chance to learn more about the IT industry with the Globe myBusiness Academy.

Madam Auring Bids Farewell At 80

It seems like the stars are not positioned well today.

Naming Of 9th Filipino Cardinal Brings Hope, Joy To PH

What can you say about this decision?

Grae Fernandez And Kira Balinger Join ‘Ang Sa Iyo Ay Akin’

Grae and Kira are set to shake things up in "Ang Sa Iyo Ay Akin" as an explosive new chapter begins in the hit series in the coming weeks! What do you think will be their roles in Ellice, Marissa, and Gabriel's lives?

Makati Offers Online Pre-Marriage Counseling, Mask Weddings

Makati City now offers pre-marriage counseling services online for those who wish to apply for a marriage license this pandemic!

More Public Wi-Fi To Boost Ilocos Norte’s Connectivity

The Department of Information and Communications Technology in Ilocos Norte is working double-time to connect all learners as they adapt to blended learning.

NFA-8 Readies Rice Stocks For Calamities

NFA Eastern Visayas regional manager Arlene Tanseco said current stocks in NFA warehouses will last until early 2021 based on current demand for government rice in the region.

Bacolod City Requires Travelers To Register For Contact Tracing

Individuals staying in Bacolod city who are seeking authority to travel are now required to register in the Bacolod Contact Tracing System.