Pres. Duterte Orders Cimatu To Coordinate With Mideast Governments

Pres. Duterte Orders Cimatu To Coordinate With Mideast Governments

Spotlight

Globe Recreates The Holiday Season With #ChristmasWeLove Live Pop-Up

Join Globe as they celebrate the holiday season with #ChristmasWeLove - a series of live digital pop ups featuring fun activities for your family and friends!

Republic Cement Launches Co-Processing Solution Amid PH Waste Management Crisis

Through ecoloop, Republic Cement aims to help address the waste management crisis of the country.

Recreate The Holidays Right At Home Best With Globe At Home Unli Plans

Make your virtual get-togethers possible with Globe At Home UNLI Plans!

SM – Pasay Tech Voc Scholarship Program Launched

With the launch of the SM - Pasay Tech-Voc Scholarship Program, a full tech-voc scholarship will be awarded to 20 students from financially challenged families.

President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu, a former special envoy to the Middle East, to meet with officials of the Gulf states and discuss the Philippines’ plan to evacuate Filipino migrant workers there, Malacañang said.

The Chief Executive gave the directive during the 45th Cabinet meeting held at Malacañan Palace on Monday night, said Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo in a statement.

Duterte’s order came as he feared for the imminent danger that Filipino migrant workers might face amid the escalating conflict between the United States and Iran, Panelo said.

“Foremost in the mind of the President is the safety of Filipinos in the Middle East and he assures the Filipino community and the nation that the Philippine Government is doing everything it can in making sure that our fellow citizens abroad are out of harm’s way,” the Palace official said.

“President Duterte likewise tasked Secretary Roy Cimatu, his Special Envoy to the Middle East prior to the latter’s appointment at the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, to fly to the Middle East immediately to establish coordination with the host countries and lay the groundwork for the evacuation,” he added.

The President’s latest move was made following the death of Qassem Soleimani, top Iranian military commander who was assassinated last week in a drone strike by the US in Baghdad, Iraq.

The US action prompted the Iran government to announce revenge for Soleimani’s death.

However, Washington threatened to hit 52 Iranian sites, in the event that Iran attacks US citizens or assets.

Panelo said Duterte has likewise instructed Presidential Adviser on Overseas Filipino Workers Abdullah Mamao to proceed to Iran and Iraq on Tuesday to deliver the President’s special messages to the Iranian and Iraqi governments.

The messages to Iran and Iraq contained the President’s expression of concern over the safety of the Filipinos working in the two host countries, and conveyed his urgent desire that “no Filipinos be harmed in the course of the ongoing conflicts,” Panelo noted.

Gov’t agencies told to ensure OFWs’ stability

Panelo said the President also directed all concerned state offices to look for ways to ensure the stability of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in the Middle East once they are repatriated to the Philippines,

“PRRD (President Rodrigo Roa Duterte) likewise directed the appropriate government instrumentalities to prepare for contingencies that will absorb displaced workers to government projects so as to prevent the economic dislocation of their families upon their return,” he said.

Duterte asked Congress to prepare a “standby fund” that could be utilized for the possible repatriation of Filipino workers in the Middle East.

Panelo said the President is “gravely concerned” with the condition and safety of OFWs in the Middle East, particularly in Iraq, Iran and nearby Arab nations.

“He (Duterte) stressed that it is the paramount duty of the government to give protection to the Filipinos whenever their lives are in peril and wherever they are,” he said.

Special working panel formed

In a bid to protect OFWs in the Middle East from any harm, Duterte formed a six-man special working panel composed of his Cabinet members, Panelo said.

Panelo said the committee consists of National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperson Jr. and Secretaries Teodoro Locsin Jr. (Foreign Affairs), Delfin Lorenzana (Defense), Silvestre Bello III (Labor), Eduardo Año (Local Government), and Arthur Tugade (Transportation).

“The President created a special working committee composed of the Secretaries of National Defense and of the Interior and Local Government, the National Security Adviser, as well as the Secretaries of the Department of Foreign Affairs, the Department of Labor and Employment and the Department of Transportation, to draw up plans and measures for the evacuation of our countrymen,” he said.

Panelo said the Armed Forces of the Philippines was also ordered to prepare its air and naval assets for the evacuation of OFWs, in case an armed or military warfare between the US and Iran takes place. (PNA)
Photo Credit: Photo Credit: facebook.com/pcoogov

Rep. Salceda Releases Statement On Jobless Rate Reduction In PH

“As a representative of a typhoon-ravaged province, I will tell you, we need urgent help. Our LGUs fiscal reserves are exhausted. We can no longer wait for 2021,” says Albay 2nd district Rep. Joey Sarte Salceda.

Gatchalian Mulls Law On Providing Laptop, Connectivity For Every Public School Learner

Senator Win Gatchalian eyes introducing legislation that will give every public school learner a laptop and access to the internet.

Holiday Parties Discouraged In Zambo City Amid Pandemic

The City Health Office of Zambo City has strongly discouraged the holding of holiday gatherings amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Hog-Raisers Ask ProVet To Step In Due To Low Buying Price

Hog-raisers from Antique are seeking the Provincial Veterinary Office to intervene amid the low buying price pegged by traders on live animals.

CSC Job Portal Open For Applicants Seeking Gov’t Work

Interested in working for the Philippine government? Check out the CSC’s official job portal

SoCot Eases Curfew Restrictions For Christmas Holidays

The provincial government of South Cotabato has eased the curfew restrictions in the area in line with the upcoming Christmas holidays.

Adoption Advocate Reacts To Viral RC Commercial

Naka-recover ka na ba mula sa latest advertisment ng RC cola?

Hope For Out-Of-School Youth Amid Covid-19 Pandemic

At 15-years-old, Timothy decided to continue his elementary education this year amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Here’s why:

Ilocos Norte Bans Mass Gatherings

As of December 1, Ilocos Norte has recorded a total of 379 cases with 181 recoveries and two deaths.

PH Covid-19 Vaccine Roadmap, Timeline On Track: Galvez

"We are still on track considering that there is a possibility that our best-case scenario will be shifted to the first quarter," says COVID-19 chief implementer and vaccine czar Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr.