Palace: Partial Resumption Of POGO Ops Allowed In GCQ, ECQ Zones

Palace: Partial Resumption Of POGO Ops Allowed In GCQ, ECQ Zones

Spotlight

GSIS To Launch Two Mobile Apps This October

Mas madali mo nang ma-access ang iyong GSIS account gamit ang bagong mobile application nito!

Halloween @ Home: Recreate The Chills And Thrills With Globe At Home

End the Spooktober in a spooktacular way with Globe At Home!

Phoenix Introduces New FamilyMart Retail Format Through Cebu Stores

FamilyMart opens three new compact stores in Cebu, offering a unique customer experience in response to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Globe Introduces Mobile Health Solution With GoHealth

For just P20, you can now enjoy up to P,1000 health insurance from Pacific Cross!

Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGOs) now have the government’s consent to partially operate in areas that are placed under general enhanced community quarantine (GCQ) and enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), Malacañang announced on Friday.

In an interview with dzMM, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque confirmed that Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. (Pagcor) chair Andrea Domingo has allowed 30 percent of POGOs’ workforce to report for work despite the threat posed by the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) outbreak.

“Kinakailangang magkaroon ng testing bago makapasok ‘yung 30 percent workforce na papasukin. Pero hayaan na ang Pagcor dahil sa kanila namang negosyo iyan. Alam naman po nila ang detalye kung ano ang kanilang papayagan (The 30 percent of POGOs’ workforce must undergo testing before reporting for work. Let Pagcor decide. They have the details),” he said.

Roque explained that Pagcor has given its nod to the partial resumption of POGOs’ operations since the online gaming industry is considered as business process outsourcing (BPO) firms that are allowed to operate during the implementation of ECQ and GCQ.

Under the government’s new guidelines, BPOs can operate in areas under ECQ and GCQ so long as they provide temporary accommodation and shuttle services for on-site workers.

Roque said POGOs, like BPOs, cater to a foreign audience since gambling is done outside the country.

“Ang pagkakaintindi ko, ang POGO ay hindi naman dito ang sugal. Ang sugal po niyan ay abroad. At ang ginagawa ng mga POGO centers para silang BPO talaga kasi nandito lang ‘yung mga hardware at software (The way I understand it, the gambling in POGOs is not done here but abroad. POGO centers, like BPOs, only established their hardware and software here),” he said.

Roque’s latest statement came following his recent pronouncement that POGOs are on the “negative list”, which enumerates several sectors that are still prohibited from operating in areas placed under GCQ from May 1 to 15.

In a text message on Friday, he said the partial operation of POGOs is now allowed, subject to certain conditions.

“POGOs are allowed under ECQ and GCQ. And POGOs are part of BPOs. Thirty percent (of their) workforce (are) all subjected to Covid-19 tests, BIR clearance, Pagcor clearance. And proceeds of government collection (will) go to Covid-19 expenditures,” Roque said.

Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III earlier said revenues from POGOs could augment the government’s funds to address the Covid-19 outbreak in the country.

There are 60 licensed POGOs in the Philippines. About 218 POGO service providers in the country have employed 108,914 foreign workers.

The Bureau of Internal Revenue’s target is to collect at least PHP2 billion a month from POGOs. (PNA)

Mayor Vico Opens Arts, Design Scholarship

Mayor Vico Sotto announces the expansion of the city government's scholarship program, which seeks to provide opportunities for students with artistic talent, to avail of free education.

BDO Leasing Earns P135 Million In 9M 2020

BDO Leasing records P135 million in net income for the first nine months of 2020, reversing the P39 million loss in the comparative period last year largely due to lower interest and financing charges.

LTFRB To Open 4 More Jeepney Routes In Metro Manila

Check out the routes that are set to open on October 30:

DA Chief Turns Over P202-M FMR In Atok, Benguet

Agriculture Secretary William Dar has turned over the 11.91-km. farm-to-market road in Atok town, Benguet, the second-largest producer of highland vegetables in the country after Buguias, also in the province.

Mayor Joy Regularizes Over 250 Employees

Residents and employees of Quezon City express gladness over the recent regularization of some 254 city hall employees in accordance with the order of Mayor Joy Belmonte.

WHO: World Had Highest Tally Of COVID-19 Cases Last Week

Last week saw the highest number of COVID-19 cases reported so far, and 46 percent of all the global cases were from the European region accounting for nearly one-third of all deaths, the two top World Health Organization officials said.

Video Content Experience Is Better Using The Globe Network

Enjoy a better viewing experience even on mobile with Globe!

Surviving WWII Veterans In E. Visayas To Get Cash Aid

The provincial government of Leyte will extend cash assistance to living World War II veterans in Eastern Visayas as simple gratitude for their service 76 years ago.