The San Juan City government is prepared in case Metro Manila reverts to general community quarantine (GCQ), Mayor Francis Zamora said on Sunday.
In a social media post, Zamora expressed the readiness of the local government for the GCQ.
However, Zamora said he would like to see a consistent drop on the number of infections and cases “before shifting from the current quarantine setup.”
“I believe we have to give it a little time for us to feel the effect of the MECQ,” he said. “Kasi kung bubuksan natin agad-agad, baka yung na-gain natin na progress in the last few days under MECQ, masayang lang naman din (Because if we will open it immediately, the progress gained from the last few days under MECQ might put into waste).”
The modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) reimposed in the National Capital Region (NCR) and the provinces of Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna and Rizal is set to end on August 18 (Tuesday).
On the other hand, the local government is continuing the distribution of the 13th wave of relief assistance to its residents amid the MECQ.
He said various classrooms in San Juan Elementary School were converted into 100-bed temporary living quarters to house the medical personnel working in the city-run San Juan Medical Center (SJMC).
“We recognize the hard work of our medical front-liners at the San Juan Medical Center, exhausted after long hours of work, we want to provide them with a nearby accommodation,” he said, adding that apart from sleeping quarters, the city government will also provide them free home-cooked meals three times a day.
Medical workers can also access free Wi-Fi.
The temporary shelter is only a one-minute walk from the city-run hospital.
Further, the San Juan City government provides financial assistance to the city’s public medical workers amounting to PHP5,000 while non-medical front-liners including city hall employees, SJMC staff, and other personnel of the villages involved in crisis management will each get PHP3,000 cash aid.
As of August 15, San Juan has recorded 64 patients recovering from the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) which Zamora cited as the highest number of recovered cases so far since March 27.
Zamora encouraged his constituents to register at sanjuan.stay.ph, wherein data will be used in the contact tracing efforts of the San Juan City Health Office.
He reminded residents to adhere to the minimum health and safety standards of the government to prevent local transmission in San Juan City.
“Let’s be vigilant at all times. Observe physical distancing. Wear your face mask properly. Always practice handwashing and disinfect with hand sanitizers or 70 percent alcohol solution,” Zamora said. (PNA)