A popular beach resort and hotel in Glan town, Sarangani province was shut down by local authorities for at least a month effective Wednesday after reportedly hosting at least two “mass gatherings” since last month.
Glan Mayor Vivien Yap confirmed on Thursday that she ordered the temporary closure of the Anvy Resort Hotel, which is situated along a strip of white sand beaches in Barangay Taluya, for violating the community quarantine regulations amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic.
She said the move was due to the resort’s hosting of two recent events, the latest on July 1, each with a reported attendance of over the 50 percent capacity of the venue.
The resort management initially reported that the organizer of the events was from this city but it turned out that the latter was from Davao City, she said.
“This (violation) was not the first time for the resort. We need to this to enforce corrective measures,” Yap told reporters.
The mayor said the hosting of the events violated the guidelines issued by the local government and the Department of Tourism regarding the holding of mass gatherings during the community quarantine.
Sarangani province, which already has nine confirmed cases for Covid-19, is currently under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ). One of the positive cases was from Glan.
Tourism-related establishments were allowed to resume limited operations, including the 50 percent required capacity for events, in areas under MGCQ.
During the resort’s temporary closure, which was set until Aug. 8, Yap said all employees were mandated to undergo strict 14-day home quarantine.
The entire establishment, which was among the newest in Glan, will also be subjected to thorough disinfection, she said.
Businessman Mohammad Aquia, the owner of the resort, assured that they will make the necessary adjustments and comply with all the measures set by the local government. (PNA)