The city government implemented another localized lockdown in a village here following the detection of two new suspected locally acquired coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases.
City Mayor Ronnel Rivera said in an advisory on Thursday they temporarily closed down portions of Barangay Apopong to facilitate the conduct of contact-tracing for two residents who tested positive of the disease.
He cited the 55-year-old female in Purok 11 and 51-year-old female from Purok Bagangga who were confirmed positive of Covid-19 on Wednesday night by the Department of Health in Region 12 (DOH-12).
The lockdown, which started 10 p.m. Wednesday, covered the main streets of the two communities, he said.
“There are other possible suspect cases being monitored (in these areas),” the mayor said.
A DOH-12 report said the history of exposure of the patients, who are in stable condition, is still subject “for further investigation”.
But village sources said the 55-year-old patient has a close relative who is working as an unspecified front-liner while the 51-year-old is a fish trader who frequents the city fish port complex.
On Tuesday, a 49-year-old male fish vendor from Barangay Dajay, Surallah town in South Cotabato who recently visited the fish port complex in Barangay Tambler here tested positive for Covid-19.
As part of the lockdown measures, Rivera said all essential workers residing in the area who are possible carriers of the disease cannot go to work to protect essential industries and businesses.
“This to stop the potential spread of the virus and break the chain of infection,” he said.
He said the city government and the barangay council of Apopong has distributed food and necessary supplies and medicine to the affected families.
The localized lockdown in Barangay Apopong was the second implemented by the city government since last week.
Portions of the village were earlier shut down after a resident who was exposed to a deceased Covid-19 patient from Sultan Kudarat came out positive.
As of Thursday morning, the confirmed Covid-19 cases in the city have already reached a total of 59, with 38 recoveries.
Eight of the remaining 21 active cases involve patients with no travel history and suspected as locally acquired infections.
Localized lockdowns were previously declared in parts of Barangays Bula and Fatima but these were already lifted.
Rivera earlier said they are treating these cases as possible local transmission although the City Health Office has not yet made such declaration.
“Technically the reported cases have yet qualified as local transmission we are treating as the same on the ground. That’s why we have the zonal lockdowns in our barangays if there are confirmed cases,” he said. (PNA)