Intercepted Truckload Of Live Pigs In Pangasinan Released





Authorities on Wednesday intercepted along Tarlac-Pangasinan-La Union Expressway some 38 live swine loaded in two trucks in line with the temporary ban on the entry of hogs in Pangasinan issued by Governor Amado Espino III, on August 20.

In an interview Thursday, Master Sgt. Alberto Queros, police investigator of the Pozorrubio Police Station, said the trucks with live hogs were blocked off in a checkpoint at Barangay Bobonan.

Queros said the live pigs were turned over to the Animal Quarantine Office at Barangay Asan Sur Sison Pangasinan, but were later on released by the quarantine office.

“The owners were able to show necessary documents that these are bound to Baguio City and not in Pangasinan and that these are free from any diseases based from the documents presented by the owners,” he added.

Queros, however, reiterated that pigs are not allowed to enter Pangasinan even with necessary documents following the temporary ban on their entry issued by Espino.

“This is just a precautionary measure since other provinces have reported suspected African swine fever (ASF). This is just temporary and its extent will be determined by the advisory from the Bureau of Animal Industry,” Espino said in a separate interview Thursday.

He also tasked the local government units and the police to be vigilant in implementing the ban, especially that Pangasinan has many entry points from other provinces.

“The supply of pigs in the province, accordingly, is sufficient, while there are no reported suspected ASF incidents here so far,” Espino said.

The governor will meet with the local government units and other stakeholders on Friday to discuss the issue. (PNA)









more recommended stories