As the pilot face-to-face classes in the province of Ilocos Norte are set to end, Governor Matthew Joseph Manotoc has urged the national government to adopt a localized education policy, allowing in-person classes in low-risk areas.
The governor made this remark during his State of the Province Address late Monday afternoon as he underscored “virtual learning is not as good as face-to-face classes”.
“I wish I have the authority to open schools and allow face-to-face classes to continue,” said the governor.
Since November 15, there were nine Ilocos Norte schools out of the 10 schools in the region that were given the green light to start limited in-person classes and these are being carried out smoothly without any untoward incident so far.
These schools are the Alao-ao Elementary School and Pagdaggan Elementary School in Bangui town, and Bicbica Primary School, Buanga Elementary School, Godogod Elementary School in Pinili town.
The Dumalneg Elementary School and Dumalneg National High School in Dumalneg town, and the San Isidro Elementary School and Cacafean Elementary School in Marcos town, were also selected for the program.
The four towns, where the schools are located, have a low risk of virus transmission.
Schools Division Superintendent Joan Corpuz said in an interview Tuesday that the limited face-to-face classes in the province are expected to end by January 15, this year.
After that, the next step is still up to the national government should they continue or not.
Ilocos Norte has 90 percent of the 431,801 target population now fully vaccinated. (PNA)