The Department of Health (DOH) in Negros Oriental reported that a total of 13 persons have died due to dengue in the province since January 1st this year as per latest available records.
For the period January 1 to Dec. 2, the DOH through its Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (RESU), also recorded a total of 2,038 dengue cases province-wide.
This is 62 percent lower compared to the same period of last year with 5,364 cases and 38 deaths.
Ages of cases ranged from eight days to 90 years old, the DOH-RESU report said.
Majority of the cases were from Dumaguete City (20.8 percent), followed by Siaton (12.2 percent), Sibulan (10.3 percent), Guihulngan City (8.6 percent) and Bais City (6.5 percent).
Dengue deaths were reported at one each in Dumaguete, Siaton, Sibulan, Guihulngan, Bais, Bayawan, Canlaon, Tanjay, Zamboanguita, Manjuyod, Pamplona, Ayungon, and Basay.
Meanwhile, Dr. Socrates Villamor, provincial DOH head, disclosed Tuesday afternoon that there were no recipients of the dengue vaccine Dengvaxia, in Negros Oriental.
This is because the vaccination program was only piloted in three regions in Luzon and in nearby Cebu, Dr. Villamor said.
The Philippines has suspended the immunization of hundreds of children in these areas with the Dengvaxia marketed by a French company, Sanofi, after the latter said it could worsen the disease, especially in those that did not have prior dengue infection. (PNA)
more recommended stories
2018 Global Farm Tourism Summit Opens In Tagaytay City
Some 350 participants gathered on Tuesday.
Enhanced SW Monsoon To Dump Light To Heavy Rains Over Luzon, Visayas
The southwest monsoon or “habagat”, enhanced.
Baguio’s Anti-Smoking Task Force To Help BPO Workers Quit Vice
The City of Pines’ anti-smoking task.
Alert Raised Over Rising Water Of Antique’s Bacong River
A heightened alert has been raised.