Comelec Says No Resolution Banning Campaign Through Social Media








The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said there is no resolution that prohibits candidates from campaigning through social media, especially Facebook, said Iloilo City Election Assistant Officer Jonathan Sayno on Monday.

Sayno said that Republic Act 900 or the Fair Elections Act serves as basis for the conduct of elections and so far they have not seen any provision that regulates the use of social media.

Sayno added minimal use of posters or tarpaulins was noted since the start of the campaign period and probably candidates turned to Facebook as their vehicle to reach the voters.

Meantime, Comelec does not conduct “motu propio” investigation on alleged violations of candidates.

Sayno said there has to be a complainant and it must be a verified petition.

The campaign period for barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (BSK) elections kicked off last Friday.

He said that candidates must follow the common poster area that was designated by the Comelec in every barangay. He added that placement of campaign material in the common poster area is limited so as to accommodate all candidates.

Those placed in private properties must seek the consent of the owners. The election propaganda, regardless whether it is placed in the common poster area of private property must follow the maximum poster size of 2×3 feet.

He urged those who have problems with their common poster area to coordinate with the Comelec so they will be properly guided.

He reiterated that candidates are allowed to spend only PHP5.00 per voter. To date, Comelec Iloilo City has not received complaints on election violation, he said. (PNA)












more recommended stories