All Catholic cemeteries in the Diocese of Legazpi, which constitutes the entire province of Albay, will be closed from October 30 to November 3.
In a circular released on Tuesday, Legazpi Bishop Joel Baylon said the measure seeks to contribute to efforts in preventing further spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).
“Since the Covid-19 cases in our province are still alarming, I deem it prudent to implement the closure of all the catholic cemeteries in the diocese from October 30 until November 3, 2021, except of course for the burial. In a few weeks time, we will be celebrating again two important feasts for the Catholic faithful: All Saints’ Day on November 1- the day we honor all our saints and All Souls’ Day on November 2 — the day we, in a special way, remember and pray for our beloved dead,” Baylon added.
As of Monday, the province of Albay has 2,182 active Covid-19 infections.
At the same time, the Catholic prelate encouraged the faithful to visit their departed loved ones before or after the said dates.
“The Catholic faithful who wish to visit their departed loved ones are encouraged to go to the cemeteries outside these dates. I highly advise that visits must not be done in groups to avoid congregating in the cemeteries. Just like last year, I am requesting the Pastors and Persons-in-Charge of the cemetery management to clean and prepare the cemeteries as soon as possible,” he said.
Baylon added that no Masses will be celebrated in cemeteries.
“All Masses are to be celebrated in the churches. The parishes may again reproduce the Novena Prayer for the Dead /Novena para sa mga Gadan that we used last year and make it available to their parishioners,” Baylon added. (PNA)