Governor Wilhelmino Sy-Alvarado said the provincial government and the Sangguniang Panlalawigan headed by Vice Governor Daniel Fernando would conduct a public hearing in aid of legislation on the structural integrity of giant water tanks of different water districts in the province.
The move came following the collapse of the water tank in Barangay Muzon, City of San Jose del Monte last week, killing four persons, two of them one-year-old girls, and injuring 44 others.
Alvarado said that public safety is the utmost concern and timely measures should be applied to prevent such tragedy from happening again.
Fernando, on the other hand, said that Board Member Allan Rey Baluyot would schedule the public hearing that would lead to the filing of a provincial resolution.
He added that the task force formed by the city government of San Jose del Monte is presently inspecting the facilities of various water districts in the area.
Fernando said the provincial government would also inspect giant water tanks in the province’s 21 towns and three cities especially the old ones and those located in populated areas.
The tragic incident happened early dawn Friday when the water tank burst and big volume of water swept through residential houses and a nearby police detachment like a tidal wave, according to witnesses.
Rescuers recovered the fatalities under debris while those injured were brought to the different hospitals in the city where some are still undergoing treatment.
The water tank is 14 by 13 meters in height and has a 2,000-cubic meter capacity. (PNA)