The City of Bacolod has identified 40 vaccination centers that will accommodate residents who will be inoculated against the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).
This was announced by Mayor Evelio Leonardia on Friday as he stressed that vaccination is the only way to overcome the pandemic.
“That is why public cooperation with the vaccination program is necessary,” he said.
“They should allow themselves to get vaccinated because without their cooperation and their acceptance and if they don’t embrace this vaccination programs, where else do we go?”
During the Liveable Cities Challenge webinar “Getting Cities Ready for the Vaccines”, held on Wednesday, Leonardia, national president of the League of Cities of the Philippines, said people should be more open about getting vaccinated with the impending arrival of the Covid-19 vaccines.
Data presented by Leonardia showed that Bacolod aims to vaccinate 424,992 individuals, or 68 percent of its total population, as the remaining 32 percent consists of 18 years old and below, who cannot be vaccinated.
Last month, it was initially reported that the target was 80 percent of the city’s projected population as of 2020.
Moreover, he said each vaccination center could have a daily maximum target of 500 vaccines to be administered, for an estimated 20,000 individuals, if the program goes full speed.
According to the Department of Health (DOH) 6 (Western Visayas), Bacolod is the most prepared local government unit among cities and provinces in the region, based on the Covid-19 vaccination plans they submitted.
With a rating of 75.9 percent, Bacolod has the “highest readiness”, followed by Capiz at 53.4 percent, and Iloilo province at 43 percent.
“This is an inspiring surprise. We simply submitted our vaccination roadmap without knowing there was a DOH ranking system. Our unity and teamwork (are) paying off. We continue to appeal for the cooperation of our people in the implementation of our vaccination program,” he added. (PNA)