The provincial government here is now preparing to resume the “Bisita Sacada”, or the visit to its migrant sugar workers in Negros Occidental, in the second week of November.
The annual activity was temporarily stopped last year due to the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), said Randy Ardeño, in charge of the Sacada Desk of the provincial government, in an interview Tuesday.
“Governor Rhodora Cadiao together with the other officials of the province will be visiting the Antiqueño sugar migrants there,” he said, adding the visit will be held from November 8-12.
Currently, there are about 4,000 migrant sugar workers who left Antique to work in Negros Occidental from Sept. 2 to Oct. 10.
“The recent batch composed of 29 migrant sugar workers left for Negros Occidental on October 10,” he said.
Ardeño added the visit is usually held before December so they could also bring Christmas joy to the sacadas working in the sugar plantations of Negros Occidental.
During the visit, the governor will be distributing food packs and other personal items.
“There will also be 27 roasted pork or lechon to be given to the migrant sugar workers as part of their Christmas party,” he said.
During the Bisita Sacada, the governor also pays courtesy call and meets with local officials of Negros Occidental to discuss the concerns of the migrant sugar workers, such as their living quarters and working conditions.
“Since the time that Governor Cadiao had been meeting with the Negros Occidental governor and the mayors of the municipalities, where there are plantations where the migrant sugar workers are working, there had been a big improvement in terms of their living quarters,” he said.
The sacadas used to stay in dark and congested quarters but as a result of the meetings with local officials, they already have rooms with adequate lighting and ventilation. (PNA)